Awards, Distinctions and Fellowships:
Awarded an Doctoris Honoris Causa by the University of Fribourg, Switzerland, 14 November 2012
Awarded South African Research Chair in Multi-Level Government, Law and Policy by the National Research Foundation (2013-2017), August 2012
Awarded NRF B2 rating (2005-2009), a status that was again confirmed (2010-2016), indicating “considerable international recognition for high quality and impact of research outputs”.
Research Interests / Research Profile:
For the first 15 years of my academic career my research output was concerned mainly with the administration justice and criminal justice in particular, which culminated with the publication of Constitutional Criminal Procedure (LexisNexis Butterworths, 1998, pp 497). Since the new democratic era my focus shifted to constitutional design and the system of multi-level government., comparative federalism and local government.
Post-graduate teaching and supervision
Since 2000 supervised 31 masters students’ dissertations, mini-dissertations or research papers.
Supervised (or co-supervised) 5 doctorates.
Course Name: Law of intergovernmental relations
Department: Department of Public Law and Jurisprudence
University: University of the Western Cape
Participation in other academic activities:
1. Panel member, Advisory Committee of National Research Foundation on Research Chairs (2007)
2. Panel member, Evaluation Panel for Law, National Research Foundation (2007-2009)
3. External examiner doctoral theses: Ph D, School of Government, UWC; LL D, University of Pretoria; LL D, University of Cape Town; LL D University of North West
4. External examiner for masters degrees: University of KwaZulu-Natal; University Namibia, Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
5. Chairperson, Faculty of Law Higher Degrees Committee (1998-2010)
6. Member of Senate Higher Degrees Committee, UWC (1998-2010)
7. Chairperson, University of the Western Cape’s Council Appeal Committee for Student Disciplinary Court (2007-2009)
8. Chairperson, Investigation Committee of Council for staff discipline, UWC (2007-2009)
9. Trustee, Association of University Legal Aid Institutions Trust (2004 - )