Sign In


What are the admission requirements?

A National Senior Certificate as certified by Umalusi with an achievement rating of 4 (Adequate achievement, 50-59%) (33 UWC points and higher) or better in four subjects.  

The following subjects are compulsory:

 * English at level 4

 * Another language at level 3

 * Maths at level 3 or Maths Literacy at level 5

 * Life Sciences at level 4


What steps do I take to apply?

Uwc provides an Online Application form, which allows you to apply for any course of your choice. When applying for Occupational Therapy, please ensure to choose this course as your first choice to be part of the Departmental selection process.

What does a selection programme mean?

The programme only selects a very limited amount of students each year. Therefore the top students are selected from the pool of applicants.


Is this course offered Part-Time?

No, this is a full-time four year degree course. Occupational Therapy has practical components which includes going to schools, hospitals, rehabilitation centres, etc during the day for 7 weeks blocks at a time during 3rd and 4th year and therefore cannot be offered on a part-time basis.

If I am an older student and do not meet the admission requirements, can I apply?

Yes. If you are 23 years or older you can apply as a RPL student (Recognition of prior learning). Please Division of Lifelong Learning for details.

What other costs are involved over and above the tuition fees?

Tuition fees can be accessed on the UWC Academic Administration . Studenst and parents will also need to make allowance for the following Expenses within their financial years. During first year you will need to purchase a uniform, name badge and register with the Health Professions Council of South Africa. Uniforms must be purchased at the Campus Lifestyle Store which is situated on the UWC grounds  during their 1st year of studies . Combo 1 Prices for 2016 includes: UWC OT Branded Pants, 2 Clinical jackets (One long and One Short sleeve) and Green Cross shoes for R980.00 and Combo 2 Prices includes: UWC OT Branded Tracksuit, Golfer, Hoodie and Winter Slazenger Jacket for R1500.00 but this is subject to change in accordance to the Lifestyle Store and not the OT Department. During 3rd and 4th years students are required to travel to the clinical placements four days a week at their own cost and transport. We ask that families please make accomodative plans for their children for these specific periods.


Will there be practical work in the course?

Yes, you will start your practical work from first year with day visits to various settings. During your 3rd and 4th years you will complete five field work blocks in which you work four days a week for approximately seven weeks per block.


How does community service work?

Once your undergraduate degree is completed you are required to complete one year of compulsory community service. Within this year you work for the Department of Health at a regional hospital or Community Clinic in South Africa. You have too complete a year in order to work in South Africa as an Occupational Therapist. During the last year of your undergraduate studies you will apply by selecting options for placements throughout the Country. It is important to research your choices as each hospital/clinic offer different opportunities.  The community service posts in the Western Cape are limited and first choice is given to students holding a Western Cape Department of Health Bursary. Therefore there is a good chance that you may need to move to another province. However, your personal circumstances are taken into consideration, for example, if you are married and/or have children.


Can I work oversees with this qualification? 

Yes. This programme is fully accredited by the Professional Board of the Health Professions Council of South Africa HPCSA, which means that it is automatically accredited by the World Federation for Occupational Therapy. Working in other countries may mean that you have to meet additional requirements of the specific country, for example, countries may require you to write an entrance exam, pay a fee, have a Masters degree or have a certain amount of experience.


Are there jobs available once I qualify? 

Once you have completed your community service year, you will be able to choose where you work. Demand for Occupational Therapists in health and social services varies between regions and employment sectors but posts are consistently available. You may need to be prepared to move to secure your first position.Many students also choose to develop their career through further specialist work, or through research.


What are CPD points? 

The basis of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) is Life Long Learning. The aim of this is to maintain and increase competence in the rapidly changing profession. In order to stay registered with HPCSA, every Occupational Therapist needs to attend courses, seminars, workshops and/or conferences to accumulate a total of 30 points per year. Courses are offered in various fields throughout the year. Formal postgraduate studies, publishing articles in journals and presenting at conferences also adds to your CPD points.


Where can I get financial support? 

For more information regarding this please go to the Financial Aid Offices. There are various bursaries available including NFAS or you can apply for bursaries through the Health Department of the province you live in.

What if I am a Foreign student and want to study Occupational Therapy?

Formal Online application needs to be made in accordance to UWC rules. In addition to this an application to HESA is also compulsory for final selection to be considered.



Related Links

UWC Supports Sustainability
© 2013 UWC | Disclaimer | Sign-in

Contact Centre

University of the Western Cape,
Robert Sobukwe Road,
Bellville, 7535,
Republic of South Africa | +27 21 959 2911