Navigate Up
Sign In

Welcome to Exchange Procedure


 Exchange Procedure


​​Undergraduate and postgraduate applicants must complete the UWC Application Form.  Application forms, together with the guidelines on how to complete the form, are available from UWC’s Admission Office or on the UWC webpage at . Your application will be processed and referred to the faculty concerned.

Undergraduates: If you want to study for a South African degree, then you must apply for a South African Matriculation Board Exemption.  The Board is a statutory body which evaluates foreign school leaving certificates for endorsement for admission to South African Universities.

How to apply for a Matriculation Exemption:

Complete an application form which can be obtained from the Matriculation Board on Submit the Matriculation Exemption application fee as a bank draft payable to the Matriculation Board along with certified copies (a photocopy of the original document with an authorization as proof that the original document has been seen) of all original education certificates you have obtained to date. The Matriculation Board only accepts certified copies of original documents if they are certified by the Registrar of a South African university, a South African Embassy or Consulate, a Public Notary, or a Commission of Oaths at a South African Trade Mission.  Documents not in English need to be translated by a sworn translator.

An applicant who has passed/completed the first year of a four-year degree in a country such as Lesotho, Botswana, Swaziland, Malawi, Zambia and Kenya must apply for a foreign conditional exemption. Candidates who have written only the ‘O’ levels or equivalent examination and who are not writing any other school-leaving examination are not eligible for admission to the University. Faculty requirements vary and are usually stated on this website but can also be obtained from the faculty officer. 

Post Graduates: The holder of an approved three-year Bachelor’s degree who wishes to further his/her studies is normally required to complete an Honours degree prior to admission as a Masters degree candidate.  This involves at least one year of specialised study.

Masters degrees are offered by dissertation or taught courses and a minor dissertation. Doctoral degrees are research degrees.  They may be entered after completing a Masters degree or by upgrading an initial Masters registration to a doctoral level. Postgraduate Diplomas normally follow a three-year Bachelor’s degree.​

UWC Supports Sustainability
© 2013 UWC | Disclaimer | Sign-in

Contact Centre

University of the Western Cape,
Robert Sobukwe Road,
Bellville, 7535,
Republic of South Africa | +27 21 959 2911