Navigate Up
Sign In


What happens with my certificate?

  • The onus is on you to inform Student Administration that you will be graduating in absentia. In this case you must collect your certificate from Student Administration.
  • Certificates will only be posted if the graduand:
  • ​resides outside of South Africa
  • does not reside in Cape Town (Jhb, Dbn,PE etc.)

What happens if my certificate must be posted overseas?

  • Student Administration will post your certificate via registered mail to your overseas address as informed/captured on the system.
  • Receiving your certificate may take a while longer than local or national mail. You may have to check with the post office closest to your place of residence (overseas) and alert them of registered mail for which you are waiting.

What happens if my certificate is not ‘claimed’ from the post office?

  • Your certificate will then be ‘returned to sender’ which in this case is Student Administration.
  • Once we have received a’ returned’ certificate, we will contact the student to make alternate arrangements for collection within a reasonable timeframe of up to one month after receipt of a ‘returned’ certificate.
  • Thereafter the certificates will be archived and you will then have to apply for a copy of your degree certificate.

Can someone else collect my certificate on my behalf?

  • You may ‘nominate’ someone to collect your certificate on your behalf.
  • The request must be in writing to Student Administration, stating the person’s full details as well as Identity Number.
  • This person must produce their ID Document when collecting the certificate.

What happens if my certificate ‘gets lost’?

  • You may at a nominal cost apply for a reprint of your degree certificate should it have been lost, damaged or destroyed.
  • The certified reprint ‘looks’ like the original with typed names of signatories, but is endorsed with the following wording,     "This is a duplicate of the original certificate which to the best knowledge of this University has been lost/destroyed."
    • A fee of R445 should be paid into the Universities Bank Account using your student number as a reference:

University of the Western Cape

Absa Bank

Branch - Epping

Account Number: 4049 6047 40

Application may be done by completing the form below.​

  • The online application form can be filled in by clicking on the following link REPLACEMENT CERTIFICATE and proof of payment and the certified copy of the ID must be attached to the application form. If you have any queries please email​

For any additional information please call the Contact Centre for assistance at 021 959 3900/1/2/3.​



Related Links

UWC Supports Sustainability
© 2013 UWC | Disclaimer | Sign-in

Contact Centre

University of the Western Cape,
Robert Sobukwe Road,
Bellville, 7535,
Republic of South Africa | +27 21 959 2911