Sign In

Welcome to Frequently Asked Questions


 Frequently Asked Questions about ‘Part-time studies’ and ‘After Hours Studies


 1. When can I study part-time?

Most courses accessible to Part-time students are usually offered from Monday to Thursday after hours from 17h00 - 21h00. (Full-time students usually study from Monday to Friday from 08h30 - 16h30). Some courses are also offered during the weekend and as block courses during holidays.

 2. Are all UWC courses offered after hours?

No. All undergraduate professional programmes (i.e. Nursing, Teaching, Social Work, Physiotherapy etc.) are only offered full-time from 08h30 - 16h30. All undergraduate programmes in the Science and Dentistry faculties are only offered full-time from 08h30 - 16h30. For details consult the Faculty

Calendars on the UWC website (click on ‘download’ on the UWC home page).

 3. If I want to study after-hours at UWC, what do I do?

Establish that the course you want to follow is offered after hours. For ‘after-hours’ courses offered, consult the ‘continuing’ and ‘part-time’ section of the prospectus.  Should you need more information about courses or study programmes, please contact the faculty officers.

 4. How long are the study programmes?

UWC offers a variety of qualifications including certificates, diplomas and degrees. Full-time certificates and diplomas are usually offered over a one- or two year period. Full-time degrees are offered over a three- or four year period. Students attending the after-hours classes usually take longer to complete their programmes. For example, a degree usually takes five to six years. Students decide on their course load based on their other commitments and in consultation with faculty staff.

 5. What does it cost to study after-hours as a part-time student?

 You will pay the same application fee as full-time students. The non-refundable application fee ranges from R50 to R150 and there is an upfront payment on registration.  As a part-time student you only pay for the modules for which you have registered. For a list of fees, check the website.

 6. Is financial aid available to part-time students?

 Yes. Enquire at the Student Financial Aid Office, foyer of the banking hall, ground floor, Administration Building. Or call the Financial Aid Help Desk on 021 959-3114. 

 7. What do the terms 'undergraduate' and 'postgraduate' mean?

 The term ‘undergraduate’ refers to students who are studying for a first degree in an area of study.

The term ‘postgraduate’ refers to students who have completed their first degree and are studying towards a higher qualification such as an honours or master's degree.

 8. Are after-hours admission requirements different from those of a full-time student?

 A Matriculation Exemption is the conventional admission requirement for all first degree studies.

However, there are alternative possibilities sanctioned by legislative authority. Subject to the discretionary approval of Senate, the university may waive the requirement of full exemption and admit a student with a School Leaving Certificate, or a student without a School Leaving Certificate but with relevant prior learning.

 The conventional admission required for postgraduate qualifications is a completed undergraduate degree or equivalent qualification. In addition each faculty has their own entry requirements.

 9. How does Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) provide university access to students without a Matric Certificate?

 The University Senate may consider granting access to students without a Senior Certificate, older than 23, but with relevant work experience or prior learning, if the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) application procedures have been followed. Students seeking access to the university through

RPL should apply to the RPL Office at the Division for Lifelong Learning on 021 -959 2799 or

 10. Should I seek access through Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) if I have a Senior Certificate but no Matriculation Exemption?

 Candidates with a Matric Certificate, who turn 23 before or during the first year of study, may qualify for age exemption under certain conditions as specified in the University Calendar. Please enquire at the Admissions Office.

 11. How does RPL relate to age exemption?

Candidates who turn 45 before or during the first year of study may apply for full exemption and gain access without going through the formal RPL         procedures. There is an administrative fee for candidates seeking access through these routes.

 12. What about admission requirements for International Students?

 International students who have completed or are completing their secondary education by means of the O and A (Principal) level system must have a combination of both O and A level subjects in order to qualify for admission to an undergraduate degree programme.

UWC Supports Sustainability
© 2013 UWC | Disclaimer | Sign-in

Contact Centre

University of the Western Cape,
Robert Sobukwe Road,
Bellville, 7535,
Republic of South Africa | +27 21 959 2911