Office of the Registrar
WELCOME TO THE REGISTRAR'S PORTFOLIOThe Registrar, Dr Nita Lawton-Misra, is secretary to Council, Senate and Convocation, and head of the University’s academic administration. Academic administration refers to the management and governance of the academic life-cycle of the student, from application to graduation.
The Registrar is responsible for institutional governance and is the University’s chief compliance officer. Other responsibilities include the external assurance of academic programme approval, accreditation and registration, as well as the establishing and maintaining of student administrative and management information systems.
Departments and functions within the Registrar’s portfolio include, but are not limited to:
- Student Administration
- Documents, Records and Archives Management Services (DRAMS)
- UWC Contact Centre
- Academic Administration Training & Development Unit (AATDU)
- International Students Services
- Business Continuity
- Compliance and Data Management of Agreements and Contracts
As Registrar, it is my singular pleasure to wish you a cheerful and warm welcome to UWC, your university of choice! The staff in the Registrar’s Division, as well as in the faculties and academic departments, are all very excited to be a part of this exciting journey that you have embarked upon. Our goal is to make your student experience as positive and pleasant as possible. We know you may be faced with various challenges along the way, and we are willing to listen and assist you in overcoming these in the best possible manner.
As a team, we are committed to the University’s five-year Institutional Operating Plan (IOP) and have identified student- and staff-centredness as one of our core goals. Coupled with this is the commitment to providing you the most efficient and ethical service at all times. Please visit our webpage to familiarise yourself with the services we provide and whom to contact for assistance. The team is constantly exploring ways to improve our services and we welcome constructive suggestions on how we can be of better service to you.
We wish you well on your journey and look forward to celebrating your successes with you during this time, and when you graduate.
Dr Nita Lawton-Misra
POLICIES, RULES AND PROCEDURES
- To improve awareness and knowledge of academic administrative policies, rules and procedures
- To align central and faculty administration
QUALITY ASSURANCE & RISK MANAGEMENT
- To improve quality assurance and risk management of the enrolment processes
- To improve planning and coordination of scheduled administrative events
- To develop benchmarks for professional service and a framework for common values
- To create a conducive physical environment for professional service delivery
- Accountability and integrity
- Commitment and respect
- Professionalism and continuous improvement
- Teamwork and open communication
- Service excellence and continuous improvement
REGISTRAR’S FOCUS AREASWithin the Registrar’s Portfolio, the strategic focus is centred around professional academic and administrative support services with the goal to strategically attract, retain and enable the development of students in line with UWC’s vision and mission. In addition to this, the Registrar’s Portfolio is committed to ensuring strategic human resources management and employment equity whilst maintaining and encouraging effective leadership, management and governance.
Key Focus Areas:Academic Administration
- Student Enrolment: Applications, Selections, Registration, Student Records, Examinations, Promotions and Graduation
- Qualifications Register: Accreditation with SAQA, HEQC, Alignment and Auditing of Qualifications Database
- Official Publication on Academic Matters: Yearbooks and Calendars
- Document Records and Archiving
- Student Contact Centre
- Internal and External Regulatory Framework, e.g. Institutional Statute, HE Act, POPIA
- Secretary to Council and Senate
- Support to Institutional Forum and Other Committees
- Academic Policies and Rules
- Deputy Information Officer
- Application for Permission to Conduct Research On Campus
- International Exchange Agreements and Other Contractual Matters (Record keeping)