Fees and Funding
Student FinancesStudents should make allowances for the following expenses in their financial plan:
- Tuition fees
- Textbooks, stationery and study supplies
- Residence fees (where applicable)
- Personal expenses
- Meals/Food (where applicable), and
- Travelling (to and from UWC)
For an estimation of what your module will cost, visit the university’s Academic Programmes page.
Click for UWC’s Online Quotations and Pro-forma Invoices.
The Student Finance Department comprises of two operational areas which are:
Please consult the Student Finance Department or the website for the terms of payment.
- Student Accounts (Cash Office)
- Student Credit Management (SCM)
Terms of Payment
Central Application Clearing House 2020
- Personal liability will attach to a registered student (or their legal guardian) for all tuition and accommodation fees, notwithstanding any award of a bursary that they may have received.
- Note: The contract which forms part of the Application Form for admission to the university which was signed by the registered student and/or their legal guardian, legally binds the registered student and/or their guardian to pay the full tuition fees, accommodation fees, and any ancillary costs for the year of registration as determined by the university.
- As a student’s fee account is linked to their academic record and accommodation choices, it shall be their responsibility to ensure and verify the accuracy of such information.
Please note the financial clearance processes on the following categories:
- First-year applicants must apply for funding via the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) at www.nsfas.org.za. Applications will reopen from 9 January 2021 to 20 January 2021, the results of which will be made known from 01 February 2021.
- Senior students who qualify for NSFAS will be cleared for registration for 2021 and will not be required to pay the upfront amount.
- Senior students who do not qualify for funding will be required to consult with SCM for payment arrangements.
- Students who are unable to settle their outstanding debt must make payment arrangements with SCM.
- Students who are bursary holders must provide proof of the bursary to the Financial Aid Office for verification.
- International students are expected to settle their fees in full at registration. Students who have refugee and asylum seeker status must make contact with the SCM Office to make appropriate arrangements.
- All students who do not qualify for NSFAS or full cost funding will be required to pay the prescribed minimum upfront payment on or before registration.
- Students with a gross combined family income of up to R600 000 per annum will be required to apply for the DHET grant. Please complete the online application via this link: http://bit.ly/2hk0kv3
|First time entry applicatnts must apply for funding via the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) www.nsfas.org.za.
Applications will reopen from 09 January 2021 to 20 January2021, the results of which will be made known from 01 February 2021.
Senior students who qualify for NSFAS will be cleared for registration for 2021 and will not be required to pay the upfront amount.
|Students with a gross combined household income of up to R600 000 per annum should apply for the DHET grant. Please complete the online application via this link: http://bit.ly/2hk0kv3||Students who are full cost bursary/scholarship holders must provide proof of the bursary to the Financial Aid Office for verification and to obtain financial clearance.||Students not in any of the aforementioned categories will be required to pay the presercived minimum upfront on or before registration.
You are required yo pay the upfront fee of R4290.00 as a non-residential student or an upfront payment of R4840 if you are a resident in one of teh University residences.
Students who do not qualify for funding will be required to consult with Student Credit Management for payment arrangements.
|International students are expected to settle their fees in full at registration.
Students who have refugee and asylum seeker status must make contact with the Student Credit Management Office to make appropriate arrangements.
NSFAS FundingIf NSFAS has provisionally funded you for the academic year, please complete the attached documents. Please read carefully and only complete and submit the documents applicable to you:
- If you have not previously submitted a Banking Details Form or your bank account details have changed, you must submit the completed Banking Details Form which must be verified and stamped by the bank with a copy of the account holders ID. The account must be in the student’s name.
- All students staying at home must complete the Travelling Form.
- Students who are staying in private accommodation (including Kovacs) and who qualify (terms and conditions apply) must submit the completed Lease Agreement with all supporting documents to the Financial Aid Office.
If you have alternative full cost funding and do not wish to take up the offer for NSFAS for the academic year, please fill in the Cancellation Form.
All students who have partial funding must bring proof of funding to the Financial Aid Office Helpdesk.
No forms will be accepted after 28 February 2021.
Cancellation of Funding 2020
Private Boarding Claim 2020
Request For NSFAS Travel Allowance 2020
Student Banking Form
Apply for financial aid online here - https://uwcfinaid.uwc.ac.za/.
UWC Financial Assistance Application 2021 (First Year)
UWC Financial Assistance Application
- Applications are only open to South African citizens
- Undergraduate and postgraduate recognised programmes, and
- Students with good academic records will be considered for a UWC bursary or any other available funding.
NO LATE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Apply for financial aid online here - https://uwcfinaid.uwc.ac.za/.
Download financial aid information 2019
All students in receipt of a bursary must submit proof of bursary to the Financial Aid Office before registration which will be forwarded to SCM for clearance.
Full cost bursary holders pay the minimum registration fees.
Registration for part cost bursary holders will depend on the allocated amount of the bursary.
For other bursaries, please check on the UWC website as well on all government department websites for funding applications.
Financial Aid Contact Details
Office hours: 08h30 -16h30 (extended hours during registration period)
Office situated at UWC Prefabs behind Student Administration building
Financial Aid Helpdesk Number: +27 (21) 959 9753/ 2737
Payment MethodsAll payments must be made to the University of the Western Cape.
Fees may be paid using the following methods:
- Cash, debit card, credit card or cheque at our cashiers on the Ground floor, West Wing building
- Electronic funds transfer (EFT)
- Credit card payments will be accepted online at www.uwc.ac.za, and
- Postal order or foreign draft using the account details supplied below.
Banking DetailsBank: ABSA Bank
Name of Account: UWC STUDENT DEPOSIT ACCOUNT
Branch: Public Sector Western Cape
Address: First Floor, Tygerpark 4, Willie Van Schoor Drive, Bellville, 7530
Account Number: 40 4960 47 40
Branch Code: 632005
Swift Code: ABSAZAJJ
South African StudentsDeposit Reference: Student Number, Surname and Names (e.g. 2000001, Brown, Peter John).
International StudentsReference/Remittance: Complete in Field 70 Purpose of Payment, Student Number, Surname and Names (e.g. 2000001, Brown, Peter John).
Please note:Payments may take up to two (2) business days for local and seven (7) business days for international transactions to reflect on our system.
Credit card payments may take up to ten (10) business days to reflect on our system.
Deposits slips of UWC receipts must be retained.
Please ensure that you use your student number in all future communications with the university.
A service levy of R70.00 will be raised on cheques dishonoured by the bank.
Contact DetailsFor all payment related queries, please contact:
Tel: +27 (21) 959 2479
Fax: +27 (21) 959 1556 / 2986
Cash Office operating hours: Monday-Friday 08h30 - 16h30
Contact Details: +27 (21) 959 2698 / 3399
Fees BookletsLocal Fees