UWC Career Services
The implementation of the new IOP 2021-2025 provides UWC Career Services, formerly known as the Office for Student Development, with the necessary impetus to make a strategic shift in realigning the programmes and focus on game changers like student preparedness for career choices, job search and their entry into the world of work which is in line with an institutional strategic focus on Graduate Employability.
Career services (including job search preparation) and graduate recruitment form part of 75% of the work of this award-wining department and as the Student Orientation Programme and Graduate Competency Development Programme straddle these career and job search preparedness deliverables, the newly named UWC Career Services department will offer UWC students with a meaningful and stimulating career preparation experience from orientation until graduation.
The department continues to work toward the following key deliverables:
- Prepared/readied for university life students;
- Positioned, recognised, integrated and utilised as the preferred orientation and career service ‘service provider’ to faculties, students and recruiters;
- Established, enabled and continuously improved UWC Career Services provision; and
- Prepared/readied and marketable students for the market and meaningful work from a career service perspective.
JOB SEARCH AND GRADUATE RECRUITMENT PROGRAMMES
STUDENT ORIENTATION PROGRAMME
- Facilitate the induction, transition, and adjustment of new first-year undergraduate students to the campus environment and university life.
- Enable supportive social network formation.
- Foster a sense of the academic demands of their first year of studies to help set a foundation for retention strategies.
- Ensure that first-year students have a good sense of supportive resources and services on campus.
Click here to view:
- UWC Lecture Hall Map
- UWC Support Services Map
- Campus Tour Video
- iKamva Student Orientation Programme page (For registered First Year Students to find videos and resources from their Academic and Support Service departments.)
- Tips To Survive Virtual Teaching and Learning: Student Voice
- Student Orientation Facebook page: UWC Student Orientation 2023
GRADUATE COMPETENCY DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMMECareer Services provides administrative and logistical support to the Graduate Competency Development Programme (GCDP). The Manager of Career Services leads the GCDP Core Team in order to:
- Recruit and select suitable candidates.
- Plan and facilitate the induction and orientation of the GCDP interns.
- Provide a structured platform for supervision ensuring that interns gain opportunities to apply their knowledge and skills learned in the classroom within the Student Development and Support (SDS) divisions.
- Arrange relevant training opportunities.
- Collaborate with SDS Managers to ensure effective monitoring and evaluation of GCDP.
Click here to read more about the success of GCDP:
- Annual Report - 2017
- Annual Report - 2018
- Annual Report - 2019
- Annual Report - 2020
- Annual Report - 2021
CONTACT USLocation: Room 165, First Floor, Student Centre
Tel: 021 959 2436