ELECTION OF TWO MEMBERS OF THE CONVOCATION TO SERVE ON THE COUNCIL OF THE UNIVERSITY OF THE WESTERN CAPE
ELECTIONS OF 24 OCTOBER 2020 IS CANCELLED AND NEW ELECTIONS WILL TAKE PLACE FROM
28 NOVEMBER to 5 DECEMBER 2020
MEMBERS ARE INVITED TO NOMINATE TWO MEMBERS OF CONVOCATION TO SERVE ON THE COUNCIL OF THE UNIVERSITY FOR THE PERIOD 1 DECEMBER 2020 TO 30 NOVEMBER 2023
CANCELLATION OF ELECTIONS
MEMBERS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF THE WESTERN CAPE CONVOCATION ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT THE ELECTIONS FOR TWO MEMBERS OF CONVOCATION TO SERVE ON THE COUNCIL OF THE UNIVERSITY OF THE WESTERN CAPE
SCHEDULED FOR 24 OCTOBER 2020 HAS BEEN CANCELLED. THE NEW DATES APPLICABLE TO THE ELECTIONS ARE AS SET OUT BELOW.
ALL NOMINATION FORMS SUBMITTED IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE PREVIOUS NOTICE FOR THE ELECTION DATE OF 24 OCTOBER 2020 ARE NULL AND VOID.
CONVOCATION MEMBERS WILL NEED TO SUBMIT NOMINATION FORMS IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE NOTICE BELOW.
NEW ELECTION DATES: 28 NOVEMBER TO 5 DECEMBER 2020
INVITATION TO NOMINATE TWO MEMBERS OF CONVOCATION TO SERVE ON THE COUNCIL OF THE UNIVERSITY OF THE WESTERN CAPE
The Statute of the University of the Western Cape provides for two members of the Convocation of the University to serve on its Council for a period of three (3) years.
The University of the Western Cape (UWC) hereby invites nominations from its Convocation for two of its members to serve on the Council of the University from 1 December 2020 to 30 November 2023.
A. Eligibility for nomination and electionThe following persons are deemed to be members of the Convocation and are eligible to participate in the election process:
- Academic employees of the University, appointed permanently or on contract for a period of not less than one year;
- The Vice-Chancellor/Rector, the Deputy Vice-Chancellors/Vice-Rectors, the Registrar, the Executive Directors; and the University Librarian;
- Two members of the Council elected by the Council to serve on the Senate;
- Emeritus professors of the University;
- Persons who graduated from the University with a degree or diplomas, provided that any graduate who notifies the Council in writing, through the office of the Registrar, that he or she does not wish to continue to be a member of the Convocation ceases to be a member upon receipt of that notice by the Registrar; and
- Persons who were members of Convocation as at September 2018, when the amended University of the Western Cape Stature was enacted.
- Members of the Convocation are invited to nominate candidates for the Council positions by completing the relevant nomination form that may be downloaded from www.uwc.ac.za or may be requested from the Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Each nomination must be signed by five (5) members of the Convocation, and countersigned by the person nominated to indicate his/her acceptance of the nomination.
- Each nomination must be accompanied by a one-page resumé of the nominee that includes the full names (and, optionally, former names), academic and professional qualifications, occupation, offices held now and in the past, and a written motivation.
- Nomination forms together with written motivations must reach the Secretary of Convocation, the Registrar, by post or email to the address set out below by 2 November 2020.
- Due to the Covid-19 pandemic there shall be no physical voting in person.
- In the very likely event that more than two nominations are received, a ballot with the names of the candidates will be compiled.
C.1 Votes by Post
- Convocation members who wish to vote by post, must inform the Secretary of Convocation, the Registrar, by post or email to the address set out below by 30 October 2020 of their intention to vote by post.
- A printed ballot will be posted to the address of Convocation members who have requested postal ballots. The ballots will be posted by 13 November 2020.
- The completed ballot must reach the Secretary of Convocation, the Registrar, by post to the address set out below by 10h00 on 4 December 2020. Only official ballots posted to the Convocation member will be accepted.
C.2 Votes by Electronic-Voting
- A ballot will be loaded on an electronic voting (e-voting) site from 13 November 2020 at 09h00 for viewing only. Elections by e-voting will be conducted on the e-voting site and will open for voting on 28 November 2020 at 10h00 and close on 5 December 2020 at 10h00.
- The e-voting site for this Elections is: https://www.eisaict.org.za/uwcconvocation
- The support desk for system related queries and assistance only is: UWCconvocation@eisa.org.za
- Convocation members who have not voted in terms of C1or C2 above, shall be deemed to have elected to abstain from voting in the Elections.
- The two (2) candidates who receive the highest number of votes will be declared duly elected by the Secretary of Convocation, the Registrar, assisted by two scrutineers appointed by the President of the Convocation or the Rector, as well as an independent e-voting entity appointed by the University.
D. AddressAll documents, forms and communication must be addressed to the Secretary of Convocation:
Private Bag X17
Due to the current backlog and delay with postal services occasioned by the government enforced lockdown, we encourage Convocation members to utilize the electronic mode, including submission of forms by email and the e-voting option for the elections.
Thank you for participating in this important process.
Dr N Lawton-Misra, Ph.D.