Contact Us


VISA Applications

According to the Higher Education Act 101 of 1997, the University of the Western Cape may not admit foreign students without valid and appropriate immigration documentation. Arriving with inappropriate immigration documents will result in disappointment.  

More information on the South African VISA requirements can be obtained here.

Apply for a study VISA from the South African High Commission, Embassy, Consulate or Trace Mission in your country of residence. If there is no South African representative in your country, apply at the nearest representative to your home country.
Furthermore, according to the Immigration Regulations 2014 (12), Foreign Students are required to provide "proof of medical cover renewed annually for the period of study with a medical scheme registered in terms of the Medical Schemes Act". For more information view our medical paid. Refer to the support information below to request relevant supporting letters from the UWC International Student Services Office (ISSO).

VISA / Permit Renewal

VFS Global is the delegated authority of the Department of Home Affairs entrusted with the responsibility of the following processes:
  • Temporary Resident VISA
  • Application of Change of Conditions on existing via or Change of Status
  • Application for Renewal of Existing VISA
  • Application for Corporate VISA
  • Application for Permanent Residence Status
  • Appeals
  • Waivers
  • Exemption
For assistance preparing your VFS Application click here and follow Steps 1-3.
To complete you Application Form for any of the processes stated above click here

  • Application should be submitted 60 days before the expiry of current VISA.
  • Any International on a short term visitor’s VISA will be permitted to change the VISA type and conditions, unless in exception circumstances.
  • Failure to supply the required documentation can severely affect the success of your application. We therefore recommend that you learn what is required before submitting to VFS

Immigration Support

Compliance with Immigration of the Department of Home Affairs, VFS Global as well as various aspects of being  a resident of Cape Town, South Africa will require a supporting letter from the UWC International Student Services Office (ISSO). In our endeavour to serve International Students of the University of the Western Cape, the ISSO makes it possible to request numerous document that can either be collected or emailed for convenience. 

Please note:
  • Please allow up to 48 hours to process requests
  • Emailed letter will only be scanned copies since the relevant statutory bodies require an original UWC

Immigration Applications require a VISA Application Letter from the UWC ISSO. To request this UWC Supporting Letter, click here.

You will need to supply some information and upload the Final Acceptance letter to study at UWC. 

VISA Renewals require a Supporting Letter from the UWC ISSO.

To request this UWC Supporting Letter click here. You will need to supply all relevant information.

To open a Bank Account in South Africa most Financial Institutions will require a Supporting Letter from the UWC ISSO.

To request this UWC Supporting Letter click here.

This Supporting Letter generally applies to individuals who wish to apply for a short term VISA in the case of attending graduation and short term research affiliation to UWC. 

To request this UWC Supporting Letter click here

For any other supporting letters required by the UWC International Student Services Office (ISSO), please complete this request form by clicking here. Please provide as much detail as possible to ease the facilitation of the processing of your request.