HIV and AIDS Programme
The HIV and AIDS Programme has developed a model integrated response to the epidemic that incorporates teaching, research, care and support, community outreach, advocacy, prevention and management of the epidemic.
The HIV and AIDS Programme Office, located in the Education Building, has a close working relationship with the university's Campus Health & Wellness Centre. It reports directly to the Rector and Vice-Chancellor of the university, Professor Tyrone Pretorius.
The programme is involved in a range of different activities. These include:
- capacity building and information workshops for staff and students,
- acting as a resource centre,
- free distribution of condoms,
- provision of free voluntary counselling and testing services,
- nutritional, medical, psycho-social and spiritual support for students and staff infected and affected by HIV,
- peer education programmes, and
- an interactive theatre group.