Erasmus Mundus Action 2 fosters institutional co-operation in the field of higher education between the European Union and Third Countries through a mobility scheme addressing student and academic exchanges for the purpose of studying, teaching, training and research. Action 2 Partnerships are the basis for enhancing academic cooperation and exchanges of students and academics, contributing to the socio-economic development of non-EU countries targeted by EU external cooperation policy. It also aims to enhance the quality of higher education and promote dialogue and understanding between people and cultures through mobility and academic cooperation. During 2011 and 2012 a total of 259 South African Masters and Doctoral students and staff were awarded scholarships to study abroad or for research for between one month and 36 months.
For 2013/2014, new contracts were awarded to three partnerships of South African and European universities in July 2013 to implement Erasmus Mundus Action 2 programmes in South Africa. These partnerships are: AESOP, EUROSA III and EUSAID. EU-SATURN is a 2012/2013 consortium is offering places as well for a second cohort. All four of these partnerships are currently inviting applications for scholarships. UWC is a partner in all of these!
· The scholarships are for masters and doctoral studies at European partner universities in a wide range of fields as well as for university staff.
· Students and staff of all public universities who are South African nationals are eligible to apply.
· If your university is not a member of any of the three partnerships indicated above, your students and staff should apply as Target Group 2.
· Applications must be done online.
· The closing date for applications is 14 March 2014.
· Comprehensive information is available on the websites of the three partnerships:
1. A European and South African Partnership on Heritage and Past (www.aesop-em.org )
2. Europe - South-Africa Partnership for Human Development (EUROSA): http://www.ua.ac.be/main.aspx?c=.EUROSA