Heading: Earth Day at UWC: Help save the world on 22 April 2018
Dear Campus Community,
Do you like Earth? Do you want to help preserve the planet for future generations, and make sure your children’s children’s children are able to enjoy sustainable lifestyles - and a University that’s clean and green?
If so, please join UWC’s Green Ambassadors to observe Earth Day on 22 April 2018, which will serve as the launch of the #MyGreenUWC Pledge Campaign.
The UWC Green Campus Initiative aims to promote environmental sustainability interventions around campus. It is underpinned by the belief that our campus will exercise leadership within the university community by modelling ways to minimize global warming emissions and raising awareness to attain climate neutrality.
On Earth Day, UWC Green Ambassadors will be around campus encouraging students and staff to pledge their support towards making UWC Green - and saving the planet.
The pledge will be available online and on various social media platforms from 22 April 2018, and the campaign will run till 22 May 2018.
Looking for ways to join the UWC Green Community and observe Earth Day 2018? Want to do your bit to help save the planet?
Well, you could:
- Plant a tree or donate a tree through the Ten Million Trees Foundation
- Join a local park, river or beach clean-up.
- Use environmentally-friendly, non-toxic cleaning products.
- Carpool, ride your bike or use public transportation.
- Recycle paper, plastic and glass - reducing your garbage by 10% (and your carbon footprint to boot).
- Read documents online instead of printing them.
- Set your office printer to print two-sided, and collect and recycle used printer, fax, and copier cartridges.
- Use reusable bottles for water, and reusable mugs for coffee.
- Bring reusable bags when you shop, and pack your lunch in a reusable bag.
- Compost kitchen scraps for use in your garden — turning waste into fertilizer.
- Take a shorter shower and use a water-saving shower head, and fix leaky faucets and shower-heads.
- Wash clothes only when necessary; use cold water and line dry.
- Turn off and unplug electronics you’re not using (and yes, this includes turning off your computer at night).
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator to save energy (go green and get exercise at the same time!).
- Lower the temperature on your water heater and use energy-efficient appliances.
Join us in making a difference on our campus and at home.
For more information, or should you want to contribute to the broader UWC green campus community, please contact Njabulo Maphumulo at email@example.com or 021-959-3497 / 082-549-9683.
Initiate Change, Act Now and GO GREEN!
Green Campus Initiative
University of the Western Cape