- You may apply for a maximum of TWO programme choices
- Try to keep your options open, especially when applying for programmes in Faculties such as Dentistry, Community and Health Sciences and Law
- There is NO application fee payable
- Applications close on 30 September 2020
STEP 2 – Acknowledgement Of Application
- After completion of the online application form you will receive a letter via email from the University acknowledging receipt of your application
- The acknowledgment letter will contain your APPLICANT NUMBER
- This applicant number is to be used in all communication with the University
- You will also receive a brochure indicating the SUPPORTING documents that you will need to submit to the University by the application closing dates for your application to be considered complete
STEP 3 – Upload Supporting Documentation
- To upload supporting documents, go to http://studentdocumentupload.uwc.ac.za/ complete the form and upload the required documents
- Current Matriculants do not need to upload any supporting documentation
- Already Matriculated: Upload your matric certificate/foreign school leaving certificate
- Attending Another Tertiary Institution: Upload a certified copy of your academic record and certificate of good conduct, stamped by the institution’s registrar
Step 4 – Offer To Study
- Successful applicants will receive communication via email offering a firm place and information about registration and orientation for 2021
- Once a FIRM/FINAL offer is received, applicants will be required to ACCEPT the offer within the designated time
- Should you not ACCEPT your offer in the designated period you will forfeit your place to study (your offer will expire)
- You may however, call or email the UWC Contact Centre and enquire as to whether your offer is still available even after it has expired and have it accepted on your behalf
- Applicants who have accepted their offers will receive communication via email informing them about registration and orientation for 2021.
Changed your mind about your choice of study?
- Do not submit a new application
- Check with the Contact Centre if you may change your programme choice
- Should your contact details change please contact the UWC Contact Centre and update your details
Bachelor's Degree Admission Criteria:
The minimum admission requirement is a National Senior Certificate (NSC) as certified by Umalusi with an achievement rating of 4 (Adequate achievement, 50-59%) or better in four subjects chosen from the following recognised 20-credit NSC subjects (known as the 'designated subject list'): Accounting, Agricultural Sciences, Business Studies, Dramatic Arts, Economics, Engineering Graphics and Design, Geography, History, Consumer Studies, Information Technology, Languages (one language of learning and teaching at a higher education institution and two other recognised language subjects), Life Sciences, Mathematics, Mathematical Literacy, Music, Physical Sciences, Religion Studies, Visual Arts.
Diploma Admission Criteria:
The minimum admission requirement is a National Senior Certificate as certified by Umalusi with an achievement rating of 3 (moderate Achievement, 40-49%) or better in four recognised NSC 20-credit subjects.
Higher Certificate Admission Criteria:
The minimum admission requirement is a National Senior Certificate as certified by Umalusi.
The Point System
For admission to degree and diploma programmes, UWC will use a weighted system for calculating points, stated as follows:
|NSC Level||Percentage||Points for English (*)||Points for Maths or Maths Lit||Points for Life Orientation||Points for each Other Subject|
|less than 20%||0||0||0||0|
Post-Matric LearnersIf you have written the NSC examination already, you need to submit the following:
- Certified copy of your NSC certificate or Senior Certificate
- Certified copy of your identification document
- Proof of any studies with academic records, if applicable, you may have completed
- If applicable, proof that you are currently improving your NSC results
- In an affidavit a brief description of activities post-matric/NSC
Transfer StudentsIf you are applying from another institution of higher learning you need to submit certifies copies of the following:
- NSC Certificate or Senior Certificate
- Identification document
- Certificate of good conduct from your institution
- Official Academic Transcript
- Module content / Yearbook descriptor from your institution for all modules completed
- Degree certificate (if applicable)
Students applying for readmission to UWCIf you have studied at UWC previously and have taken a break in study, you need to provide a letter of motivation to be considered for readmission to your respective faculty
- You need to submit your final school results to Universities South Africa (USAf) for an evaluation
- Application for Exemption is to be done with Universities South Africa (USAf) formerly Higher Education south Africa (HESA) using the following link: https://mbit-application.usaf.ac.za/assessment/
- We unfortunately will not be able to respond to your application until you submit a confirmation letter issued by USAf stating that you qualify to study at a South African University
- Certified copy of your passport
Post Graduate students
- Certified copy of identification document
- Certified copy of Passport (International Applicants only)
- Official Academic Transcripts/record of results (All applicants)
- Certified copies of degree certificates (All applicants)
- SAQA Evaluation Certificate (International Applicants only)
- Short Curriculum Vitae (CV) (All applicants)
- One page letter of motivation (All applicants)
- Short research intention (Master and Doctoral applicants only)
- Applications for 2021 open on 11 May 2020 and close on 30 September 2020
How can I apply?
- Applicants are encouraged to apply online via the online application portal
- Applicants wanting to submit a hardcopy application may collect these from the University and submit their application form at the University or via post. Applicants may not apply via email or fax
What is the application fee?
There is no application fee
How many programme choices may I apply for?
- Undergraduate – You may apply for a maximum of 2 choices
- Postgraduate – You may apply for ONE choice directly via the online application form and for an additional programme click here
When and how will I receive the outcome of my application?
- Current Grade 12 applicants will receive an acknowledgment letter via email after the completion of the online form
- Thereafter, you may receive a PROVISIONAL selection letter via email notifying you as to whether you have been provisionally accepted or not
- Please note that this will only be a provisional selection and does guarantee you a place to study in 2021
- A FINAL selection will only take place in January 2021 after final results have been released
- All other applicants (not currently in Grade 12) will receive an acknowledgement letter after the completion of the online application form with instructions relating to the submission of required documents
- In order for your application to be considered complete all required documents must be submitted as required
- Faculties will consider each application and make FINAL offers as is necessary
- You will receive communication via email in this regard by no later than January 2021
Can I apply with my mid-year grade 12 results for undergraduate programmes?
- Applicants currently in grade 12 may either enter their final grade 11 results or their mid-year grade 12 results online or on their hard copy forms
- Selection for applicants who completed grade 12 will be done based on their final grade 12 results
Do I get credits for courses offered at colleges?
- You may enquire at the relevant faculty to verify credit applications
What procedures do I follow if have not received a response from the University?
- You may call the UWC Contact Centre on 021-959 3900/01 to enquire or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Do I need to apply again if I have applied the previous year and have not been accepted?
- Yes, an applicant is required to fill out another application form for each academic year
How do I apply towards a NSFAS bursary?
You may apply directly to NSFAS by completing their online application
I would like to ask a Consultant