Contact Us


Applications are done online, before you can complete the online application you will need an active student number to register with, before the completion of the application.

If you have not yet completed an application to the university, you can do so online by visiting

Financial assistance is offered to all applicants who qualify based on the means test. Generally, all applicants will be considered based on the requirements set-out as per the donor. Good Academic performances and financial need will be considered. Please be mindful of the 2017 Presidential Pronouncement.

This essentially communicates that from 2018 all first-time entry (FTEN) students who register for their first undergraduate qualification for the first time at a public university with a gross household income not exceeding R350 000 qualify for the DHET Bursary Scheme.

Applications can be made on the NSFAS website.

The relevant documents, from the list of documents below, will be required when submitting an application for financial assistance:
  • Certified copy of ID for all members of the family living in the house; and/or
  • Payslips of both parents or guardians; and/or
  • If pensioner, must provide proof of pension income (SASSA letter); and/or
  • Bank Statements of income earners in the household; and/or
  • If own business, must provide last audited statements, and when the new audit is out for the current year, can be submitted for additional proof; and/or
  • Letter from bookkeeper or Accountant; and/or
  • Tax Assessment; and/or
  • If unemployed, an affidavit confirming this signed by the parent(s)/ guardian(s); and/or
  • If family receive survival income from family, friends, community etc, please provide proof and an affidavit confirming this and amount(s)

IMPORTANT: All income must be declared!

The Recruitment Bursary is a strategic bursary by the university to increase the diversity in the demographics of the student body. Prospective students will be selected by the Student Enrolment Management Unit (SEMU) and offered the bursary on acceptance into the University programme. All applicants who fall into the designated groups that are identified for the Recruitment Bursary will be considered to be made an offer by our Student Enrolment Management Unit.

Prospective Students
University Merit Award is awarded to applicants who have been made an offer by the University and have accepted the offer on the basis of the NSC admission point score based on the UWC calculation. This is an automated process, where no application is needed.

Current Students
Do not need to apply for this bursary. All senior students can do the UWC Financial Assistance application on an annual basis.

University Merit Award is awarded to applicants who have been made an offer by the University and have accepted the offer on the basis of the NSC admission point score based on the UWC calculation: ▪ Category A: 54 UWC points and above - R10 000,00 ▪ Category B: 50 – 53 UWC points R 6000,00 ▪ Category C: 46 – 49 UWC points R 3000,00

Yes. There is a wide range of companies, trust and individual bursaries that are available in the bursary application that you can apply for that do not disqualify you from applying for based on household income.

The details of these bursaries can be viewed under Bursaries, Scholarships, and Funding Opportunities.

Yes. The requirements will be set by the donor and we will advertise accordingly. You can also look at faculty-specific bursaries that you might qualify for and ensure that you apply for them.

The list and details of these can be found under Bursaries, Scholarships, and Funding Opportunities.

Prospective Students will receive communication from the financial aid office regarding the online application made. External bursaries that UWC manages will inform students as per the deadlines and due dates set by them.

You will only know after registration or later in the academic year whether you qualify for a UWC or private bursary.

Yes. The Recruitment Bursary and Financial Assistance bursary conditions do not allow you to hold two bursaries. It is then seen as double funding. The terms and conditions of these bursaries prevent us from allocating these to students with other full cost or partial bursaries.

Yes. Family situations can drastically change in a year. You will need to reapply between June and 31 August to receive financial assistance in the following year. Recipients of the Recruitment Bursary will not need to re-apply, this is a once-off bursary only applicable to first-time entry students selected by the SEMU department.

No, the purpose of the UWC funding is to assist you to pay off your tuition fees for the current academic year. It is not meant to assist in paying for supplies, accommodation, and other allowances.

The UWC Sports Bursary selection is administered by the UWC Sports department. Students are recommended by their coaches and administrators to receive this bursary. For more detailed information you can visit the Sports Administration department.

Financial aid is any form of funding granted to a student with the purpose of covering their study expenses. This includes grants, bursaries, scholarships, and loans.

The nomination and selection of UWC-managed bursaries run throughout a 12-month period, and depend on when donors make the allocated funds available.

Depending on what is set out by the donor, fees can be used to:
  • To fund registration and tuition
  • To fund accommodation cost
  • To top-up bursaries
  • Can also be a fixed amount to cover allowances

The closing date for the different applications will be stipulated in the advert, set by the donor.

In addition to the parent(s) salary, other income includes grant amount received, maintenance received from the other parent, and pension/funds from the estate of the deceased. The student is obligated to declare should the student be a recipient of another bursary for the same academic year.

The student who is self-funded (working) and/or not dependent on parents or guardians for their livelihood; this includes tuition, food, accommodation, and/or other study-related expenses.

No, our funding does not allow assistance when students are enrolled for a second undergraduate degree while being financially assisted with the first undergraduate degree.