Head of Department’s Welcome message:Good day and Welcome to the Statistics and Population Studies Department at the University of the Western Cape.
Our Department revolves around two axes of teaching and research: Statistics with specialisation in Data Science and Population Studies. Two growing and important fields as data become more and more used everywhere and every day for planning purposes and to understand the challenges of our modern societies: from stock markets, medical research, economic forecasting to human populations.
The Department offers a lively environment for studying and researching in the areas of applied statistics, data science (offering innovative degrees), computational finance and population studies. We offer Under-Graduate programmes as well as Post-Graduate programmes up to PhD level.
We value the interaction with students, and make sure that every day, we happily share knowledge through teaching, learning and researching.
Thanks very much for your visit to our website. We look forward to answering any queries you might have on our Department in general, and on our programmes in particular.
Prof. Nancy Stiegler
MissionThe Department strives:
- For research excellence, be it of theoretical or applied nature in fields of Statistics, Data Science and Population Studies
- To train students who are well developed employable individuals.
- To collaborate with departments at UWC and other academic institutions.
- To continue further training for employees from industry and government.
- To have excellent facilities to carry out its research, teaching and outreach.
- Statistics SA
- SA Fisheries
- Weather Bureau
- Population Bureau
- Institute for Population Studies
Statistician and Demographers tend to be people who:
- Enjoy solving problems
- Can think logically and scientifically
- Are curious
- Are independent individuals
- Have discipline and tenacity
- Skills Acquired
- Develop procedures for solving modern mathematical and statistical problems
- Planning and analytical skills
- Designing of experiments
- Analysing Data
- Presentation and reporting skills
- Computer programming skills
- Population analysis and forecasting
- Research skills
Degrees offered in Statistics with specialisation in Data Science and in Population Studies: