Head of Department’s welcome messageWelcome to the Department of Statistics and Population Studies. Our department is a vibrant department filled with passionate students and staff. As per the name of the department, our department revolves around two interconnected fields, namely; Statistics and Population Studies.
Our Population Studies programme focuses on equipping students with the knowledge and skills needed to understand a modern society. As was seen in the COVID-19 pandemic, populations the world across, are interconnected and ever-changing and therefore society needs individuals who are able to understand the challenges of a modern society.
The Statistics field has enjoyed tremendous growth over the past few years and with the onset of the 4th Industrial Revolution, the need for statistically trained graduates is vital. With the introduction of two additional postgraduate programmes, specialising in Data Science at the Honours and Masters (MSc) level, the department has furthered our mission to equip students with the skills needed in industry. With the “data era” in which we find ourselves, the need for statistically trained graduates will not subside any time soon.
Our department also engages frequently with industry partners, to ensure that we are teaching and equipping students with the knowledge and skills needed for current workplace.
The department is a vibrant department where we value the interaction between students and staff at all levels and across all disciplines. The sharing of knowledge, through learning and teaching as well as research practices, is an important role that we take on.
If you are interested or have any queries on any aspect of our department or our programmes, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Dr Humphrey Brydon, MSc PhD (UWC)
MissionThe Department strives:
- For research excellence, be it of theoretical or applied nature in fields of Statistics, Data Science and Population Studies
- To train students who are well developed employable individuals.
- To collaborate with departments at UWC and other academic institutions.
- To continue further training for employees from industry and government.
- To have excellent facilities to carry out its research, teaching and outreach.
- Statistics SA
- SA Fisheries
- Weather Bureau
- Population Bureau
- Institute for Population Studies
Statistician and Demographers tend to be people who:
- Enjoy solving problems
- Can think logically and scientifically
- Are curious
- Are independent individuals
- Have discipline and tenacity
- Skills Acquired
- Develop procedures for solving modern mathematical and statistical problems
- Planning and analytical skills
- Designing of experiments
- Analysing Data
- Presentation and reporting skills
- Computer programming skills
- Population analysis and forecasting
- Research skills
Degrees offered in Statistics with specialisation in Data Science and in Population Studies: